Sunday morning I got a hankering to bake - imagine that. I was already getting on the hungry side and wanted something quick and easy. I pulled out my bag of Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix (Wheat and Gluten Free) and scanned the recipes. Coffee cake seemed to sweet, didn't have any zucchini for the zucchini cake, and I haven't made an amazing recipe for muffins yet. Then I saw Scones with currants. Wait, I have currants, perfect! So off I went and made Currant Scones. As I always do, I modified the recipe slightly by adding both vanilla and cinnamon. They turned out far better than I had expected them to and was really pleased with the results. I even think my husband will like them when he gets home, that is if I haven't finished them off yet.
- 2 1/4 cups Pamela's Mix (a GF version of Bisquick if you'd rather use that)
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp cold butter
- 2/3 cup milk or non-dairy substitute (I used soy milk)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup currants
Step By Step
Preheat oven to 375 deg F
- Mix the dry ingredients together from the flour through to the cinnamon
- Cut in the butter using two knives or your hands until the butter and flour mixture is a uniform consistency.
- Add milk, eggs and vanilla, combining everything together with a fork. Don't over mix. The dough will be thick.
- Drop large, tall dollops of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet and put in the over to bake for 15-17 minutes.